science = determinism? (Schrodinger: algorithm or phenomena?)

Tim Bradshaw tfb at tfeb.org
Sat Nov 27 10:13:21 EST 1999

* Peter da Silva wrote:
> I think you've mistaken me for someone else. I'm quite comfortable with
> quantum mechanics, it helps me sustain my illusion of free will (whatever
> that really means), I'm just not at all sure why the specific breakdowns
> in causality implied by relativity are considered toxic. There's not even
> a "time machine paradox" because they can't be used to send information
> back before the "invention" of the "time machine".

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically.  My memory (which is vague, so
don't quote me) is that you may be able to use (uncensored) solutions
with closed timelike curves to do things like generate unbounded
energy or something (which is what I really meant by toxic I think).

OTOH there were no collapse scenarios with physically plausible
initial conditions which lead to these things 14 years ago (very
different from the simple singularity case where it's known they're
almost inevitable in GR).

--tim