SV: Capacity of the brain

patrik bagge patrik-b at online.no
Sun Nov 28 13:36:51 EST 1999

>>concept of success in science = ability to explain
>>and predict reality , period.
>
>Okay, let's work with that.
>
>>example of predicting reality = weatherprognosis
>
>>do we agree?
>
>Not really.  Too complicated.  Your brain is probably just chemistry and
>physics.  However, even if we knew *all* of the chemistry and physics, we
>wouldn't necessarily be able to model your brain effectively.

well, i'm boldly assuming that 'nature' somehow got things working
quite well, what's there preventing us from doing a reasonable
approximation ?

this 'somehow' seems to be neuroscience+behavioral sciences,
which are increasingly joining forces, recognizing each other
by EEG ERP correlation techniques.

>>if we still agree, then we can connect
>>a successfull science with 'successfull weatherprognosis'
>
>This assumes success is all-or-nothing.

of course not.

>In fact, we get better forecasts now
>than we did when I was a kid, so I'm assuming that part of science has
>improved.

yepp

Best
/pat