SV: Capacity of the brain

Maynard Handley handleym at ricochet.net
Mon Nov 29 13:30:10 EST 1999

In article <383F042C.4D8CC3DE at gmx.de>, Bernd Paysan <bernd.paysan at gmx.de> wrote:

>Bill Todd wrote:
>> There are others here in comp.arch likely far better able to list QM's
>> successful predictions than I, but I believe quite a few of them relate to
>> prediction of new particles (based on the behavior of known particles) whose
>> existence was subsequently verified.
>
>The new particle theory is called QED (Quantum Electro Dynamics) and
>it's sister QCD (Quantum Chromo Dynamics). They are extensions to QM in
>so far as they specify the interactions much more detailed (and better)
>as raw QM, which doesn't deal with interactions, but just with classical
>fields.

QED, QCD etc (more generally QFT) do not replace QM.
QM is not Schrodinger's equation, it is a way of modelling the world
mathemtically under the assumption that the things we see (classical
states) actually occur in nature as complex-valued superpositions of
multiple classical states. These superpositions are taken to be elements
of a Hilbert space.
The underlying classical states can be "binary" states (simple models of
spin), "particle" states (Schrodinger's equation) or "field" states
(Quantum Field Theory).

Maynard