science = determinism?

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Tue Nov 30 12:45:36 EST 1999

In article <y44se41eu0.fsf at mailhost.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>,
Jan Vorbrueggen  <jan at mailhost.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
>seebs at plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
>> Mea culpa; I forgot about that since I almost never use it.  I *HATE*
>> statistics, mostly because I made the mistake of taking a non-honors course
>> in it, where they refused to explain where all the weird equations come from.

>"refused" as in "no, this is too complicated for you, I won't tell you?" or
>similar? I hope you got your money back, or got the instructor fired.

Nah, I was too lazy.  ;-)  After about three months of nearly-failing, I
finally just sat down, took what I already understood (I read a wonderful
book on probability years earlier), and pounded on the statistics until they
made sense.  In retrospect, the entire course had maybe two hours of actual
material in it, and it wouldn't have taken that long if anyone had tried to
explain it.

I think the prof was doing what he was supposed to be doing, mostly - he was,
after all, teaching "statistics for people who don't need to understand them".
I picked the wrong course.  ;-)

-s
Copyright 1999, All rights reserved.  Peter Seebach / seebs at plethora.net
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!
Will work for interesting hardware.  http://www.plethora.net/~seebs/
Visit my new ISP <URL:http://www.plethora.net/> --- More Net, Less Spam!