SV: Capacity of the brain

Erik Max Francis max at
Fri Oct 22 13:43:34 EST 1999

Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> If I remember the report correctly, they used 1.3 microsecond time
> intervals.
> So the minimum speed needed to transmit the correlation is something
> like
> 11 km / 1.3 microsocnds, or, err... some 28 times the speed of light.

You could be talking about one of two things, here.  Either you're
talking about the work of Guenter Nimtz -- who genuinely claims to have
actually sent information faster than light, although the results of his
work are in dispute and have not been reproduced in other experiments --
or plain old quantum tunnelling, where you can talk about "phase
velocity" being greater than c, but what counts for transmitting
information is group velocity, which is always less than c.

Erik Max Francis | icq 16063900 | whois mf303 | email max at
 Alcyone Systems | irc maxxon (efnet) | web
    San Jose, CA | languages en, eo | icbm 37 20 07 N 121 53 38 W
             USA | Fri 1999 Oct 22 (42%/950) | &tSftDotIotE
/  \ But who shall dwell in these worlds if they be inhabited?
\__/ Johannes Kepler