Get in on the Ground Floor of AI

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at
Sat Oct 23 21:53:39 EST 1999

Dr. Alfred B. Bortz, Ph.D., Writer & Consultant, wrote on 23 Oct 1999:
> In article <XhaQ3.30051$E_1.1649290 at>,
> kinsler at (Mark Kinsler) wrote:

>> Which brings up a question: what ever happened to artificial
>> intelligence, anyway?  Did it work?   Do we find the various
>> techniques in current computer routines?

The phrase "uses AI techniques" is a cop-out in describing a
software package.  For real AI based on neuroscience and Chomsky, Mind.Forth
is the "ground floor" of an open source, public domain AI project.

>> I'm not making a judgement here: I really don't know.  Though
>> I haven't heard anything about AI in a long time, it's quite
>> possible that we're seeing the fruits of the research in products
>> like language translation programs (I was surprised to see these:
>> didn't think they were possible) and optical character recognition
>> software.
>> M Kinsler
>> who once took a course in neural networks.
>> --

> AI is still going along fine, and the fruits you mention are there;
> but it is no longer the "hot" field  it once was.  I guess it's gone
> through its adolescence and is now a young adult -- with more potential
> yet to be realized.

> To me, the best indication that AI is stabilizing is that my book
> MIND TOOLS, published in 1992 for teens-up, is not yet out of date
> or out of print.  I even more or less predicted the victory of Deep
> Blue over Kasparov, so the game-playing chapter is a bit stale but
> still far from useless.  My guess is that the whole book is in a
> similar state of aging.  To my surprise, it still sells well at
> personal appearances and still results in two modest but
> appreciated royalty checks per year.

Anyone publishing or updating a book on AI/neuroscience/robotics etc.,
please consider including a diagram or Web link or other tidbit on Mind.Forth PD AI for robots.