Capacity of the brain

Ken Collins KPaulC at email.msn.com
Sat Sep 4 23:37:05 EST 1999

it's essentially infinite because that which can be can be explored at will,
even though this or that particular is not explicitly encoded.

'memory' is not only 'encoding'. it's also this ability to 'explore' within
a rational-set, despite the particulars of 'encoding'... that's the stuff
that's limitless.

trouble is, most folks don't 'bother' to get into 'exploring', so folks
think of 'memory' as being delimited to stuff like telephone-number lists,
which are only a tiny scrap of what 'memory' is.

the processing speed inherent in such 'memory'-guided exploration is a
tougher question. the more that's explored, the more can be explored, and
the faster it can be explored. it's not at all 'linear', like in machines.
within the brain, everything's 'transformed' into a logical Geometry that
gets its functionality from the rigorous mapping of the neural topology to
the body-environment interface, and from there, to the external environment
in-general.

the 'exploration' is done within the internal Geometry. it work because
(again) the 'mapping' is rigorous.

the internal 'exploration' capacity is, itself, infinite, but this infinity
requires relatively-little in the way of discrete encoding.

all of this is (or can easily be, even though it usually isn't) compounded
intergenerationally, and when one looks at the resulting 'capacity', one
finds it to be awesomely staggering... no numbers exist for it except
'Infinity'.

(all of this is discussed further in AoK.)

ken collins

news:37ca6624 at redeye.it.ki.se...