Scientists provide first detailed maps of wiring circuitry in the living human brain

Richard Lanyon rlanyon at plato.wadham.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 05:07:39 EST 1999

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:29:22 -0400, Ken Collins wrote:

> one of the ways in which TD E/I-minimization is actualized within the
> nervous system is in the minimization of neural fiber lengths... it's a
> g'zillion-node "Traveling Salesman Problem", elegantly solved, and resolved,
> on milli-second 'time' scale, by our nervous systems, =and= by their elegant
> genetic, generalized-processor design.

You take it for granted that the wiring of the brain /does/ minimise
neural fibre lengths. I'm sure that minimising neural fibre lengths is
a worthwhile design goal, but it seems likely that there are other
design considerations as well. Not least of these is the fact that it
would be incredibly difficult to specify (genetically or
experientally) all the connections in the brain on a neuron-to-neuron
level. There are biological as well as computational constraints at
work here, so arguing from the first principles of neural network
theory does not necessarily tell you what's really going on in the
brain.

--
Richard
for the self-assured