Cognition and multicellular development

Doug Klimesh dougklim at provide.net
Mon Sep 6 17:44:34 EST 1999

Y-chat at webtv.net wrote:
> The recent studies of the bacteria Dictyostelium discoideum, a species
> of soil amoebas sheds some new light on the phenomena of cellular
> merging and emergent self-awareness. Since we are basically a
> cooperative conglomeration of single cells, it is interesting to
> hypothesize an ongoing evolutionary bond of communication that is
> neither chemical nor quantum nor electrical. The innate urge for self
> identity may be a vestigial result of the ancient origins of
> multicellularity.

Could you reference some of these recent studies?

It is a chemical signal (cAMP I think) that signals the single amoebas
to merge together.

Yes, it is interesting to investigate the communication between the
single cells of D. discoideum, because after they merge they become
specialized.  However why you do say the communication is not chemical,
quantum, nor electrical?  What else is there? Magnetic fields or
Sheldrake's morphogenetic fields?

However I think the innate urge to become a part of something greater
than yourself and to identify yourself as an integral part of something
greater than yourself was a significant driving force of the origins of
multicellularity.