Children With ADHD Reveal Brain Abnormalities

c_thomas_wild at my-deja.com c_thomas_wild at my-deja.com
Sat Sep 11 17:39:12 EST 1999

It's my understanding that for years it's been known that stimulant
medicines used to treat ADHD tend to impact different areas of the
brain including the reticular formation of the brain stem (which is
associated with sleep/wake cycles and paying attention).  There is a
wide range of symptoms as well as degrees of severity with ADHD (mild,
moderate, or severe) and over the years I've seen a number of reports
which tend to identify different areas of the brain with ADHD which as
you probably know has gone by a large number of different names over
the past fifty years including ADD, Hyperactivity, Hyperkinetic
Syndrome of Childhood, Minimal Brain Dysfunction, and Minimal Brain
Damage.  There are at least six medicines which can help some people
pay attention better:  Adderall, Caffeine, Cylert, Desoxyn, Dexedrine,
and Ritalin.  Aren't the frontal lobes associated with the ideas of
planning and executive function which some children and adults with
ADHD (some more than others) have challenges with?

In article <936853858.319043 at server.australia.net.au>,
  "John" <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote:
> I think I've cover this before but just in case. Interesting.
>
> Children With ADHD Reveal Brain Abnormalities
>
> Children diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
(ADHD)
> often have smaller overall brain volumes than normal children. They
also
> have significantly less gray matter in their frontal brain region,
> particularly in the right frontal region, according to a study
presented
> Monday afternoon at the American Academy of Neurology's 51st Annual
Meeting

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/