Cognition and multicellular development

Doug Klimesh dougklim at provide.net
Sun Sep 12 11:26:58 EST 1999

Y-chat at webtv.net wrote:

> I did not intend to conjure up some metaphysical communication system in
> the studies of the neural /chemical events of these microscopic slime
> molds, see :  http://www.biology.used.edu/~firtel/firtel.abstracts.html
>
> Almost all of these papers indicate there is an  "unknown" signalling
> system that INSTIGATES the aggregation.
>
> In a leap forward evolutionarily, I might also refer to Frans De Waal's
> book "Good Natured" which deals with the origins of right and wrong in
> humans and other animals.
>
> Since there seems to be a clear connection between cooperation, language
> development and intelligence, it may be that the unravelling of the
> puzzle of the little slime mold's urge to merge may open a new world of
> understanding of the meaning and methodology of human consciousness.

The actual link is
http://www-biology.ucsd.edu/~firtel/firtel.abstracts.html

I don't see anything to indicate that the unknown signal that instigates
aggregation is not chemical.

Dr. Firtel at http://www-biology.ucsd.edu/~firtel/firtel.res.html states
"...The multicellular organism is formed by chemotactic aggregation
mediated by pulses of
extracellular cAMP that activate a classic heterotrimeric G
protein-coupled receptor (cAR) signal transduction cascade, which
regulates the relay of cAMP, chemotactic movement, and aggregation-stage
gene expression (Fig.A). Upon mound formation, the cAMP signal switches
from an oscillatory to a more continuous signal. This inhibits the
aggregation pathways and activates a transcriptional cascade that leads
to cell-type differentiation and morphogenesis..."