Twin Study Reveals Smaller Brain Regions In Autistic Children

c_thomas_wild at my-deja.com c_thomas_wild at my-deja.com
Mon Sep 13 08:53:39 EST 1999

The idea of paying attention is often associated with the reticular
formation of the brain stem and other parts of the brain vs residing in
the cerebellum.  Can you please clarify the following:
They also
> found that parts of the cerebellum that are involved in shifting
attention
> from one task to another were reduced in size.
It's my understanding again that other parts of the brain are more
closely associated with the idea of shifting attention than the
cerebellum.  C. Thomas Wild, an adult with mild ADHD (Attention Deficit
Hyperactivity Disorder) syndrome.

In article <936853883.908290 at server.australia.net.au>,
  "John" <johnhkm at netsprintXXXX.net.au> wrote:
> Twin Study Reveals Smaller Brain Regions In Autistic Children
>
> --
> In the first published brain imaging study of autism in identical
twins,
> scientists have identified brain regions that are abnormally small in
> children with autism. Their report appears in the June issue of the
Annals
> of Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Neurological
> Association.
>
> --
> These results appear to support a recent theory that there is a mild
form of
> autism in relatives of autistic children that derives from some of
the same
> genetic abnormalities that lead to severe autism.
>
> "It's one pair of twins," cautions Wendy R. Kates, Ph.D., assistant
> professor of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University School of
Medicine and
> research psychologist at the Kennedy Krieger Institute at Johns
Hopkins
> University, one of the authors of the study. "The results are very
> preliminary and they need to be replicated on a larger scale."
>
> But the results are promising enough that the National Alliance for
Autism

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/