Concepts

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Sep 22 15:55:19 EST 1999

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/7256/mind-fpc.html Mind.Forth PD AI
is a free public-domain artificial intelligence program based on concepts:

<PRE>
  Hearing    Vision    The Evolution of Concepts   Motor Output
 /iiiiiii\  /!i!i!i!\  Primitive Verbal Abstract  /YYYYYYYYYYYY\
| ||||||| || ||||||| |  +   +    +      +   +    | |||||!|||!|| |
| ||||||| || | ___ | |  +   +   / \     +   +    | |||||!|||!|| |
| ||||||| ||  /   \  |  +   +  /   \    +   +    | |||||!|||!|| |
| ||||||| || (image)-|--+   + (blood)   +---+    | |||||R|||!|| |
| ||||||| ||  \___/  | / \  +  \   /  __+__ +    | |||||U|||!|| |
| ||||||| ||         |(red) +   \ /  (dan- )+    | |||||N|||F|| |
| ||||||| ||         | \ /  +----+    \ger/-|----|------*|||I|| |
| ||||||| ||         |  +---|----+     \ / _+_   | |||||||||G|| |
| ||||||| ||         |  +   +    +------+ /   \  | |||||||||H|| |
| ||||||| ||         |  +  / \   +      +(cour-) | |||||||||T|| |
| ||||||| ||         |  + (wet)  +      + \age/--|----------*|| |
| ||||||| ||         |  +  \ /   +      +  \_/   | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||         |  +   +    +      +   +    | |||||||||||| |
</PRE>

Chaumont Devin, devil at lava.net, wrote on 22 Sep 1999:

>Dear Friends,
>
>There seems to be a lot of confusion and controversy about this matter of
>concepts and what I said about it, so I will try to shed some light on the
>problem.  Before I do so, however, let me say that I am 57, and cannot
>always remember everything I know about something instantaneously as
>before.  Anyhow, here are what I see as some serious problems with the
>idea of primitives or concepts:
>
>1. In the very first place, I am pretty sure they don't even exist.
>
>2. After spending years working out my theory of Panlingua, it is clear
>that all of the internal structures of language can be modeled without
>using anything else except links and nodes, where a node is defined as
>nothing but a connecting point.  Because I look for elegance and
>simplicity at the fundamental levels of nature, I am forced to perceive
>the idea of concepts/primitives as problematic because it doesn't fit
>naturally into the larger scheme of things.

But if we  E-L-O-N-G-A-T-E the nodes and map them onto nerve fibers
(actually, redundantly reliable gangs or fascicles of neurons), then
we still have nodes but we have solved the problem of massively
parallel *connection* to the nodes, because any concept anywhere on
the mindgrid can connect *at some point* to any other concept fiber.