steady state vs. equilibrium state

Hur Sun hursun at MATH.EWHA.AC.KR
Wed Sep 29 07:14:08 EST 1999

Hello..
To keep resting membrane potential of neuron , we need Na+,K+ pump .

"Thus, at the resting membrane potential the cell is not in equilibrium, but rather in a steady state"
This is  how my text book (essentials of neural science and behavior -by Kandel et al) puts it.

 Is dynamic equilibrium state different from steady state? what is exact definition of it?
I do not see any fundamental (thermodynamic) difference between equilibrium state of glial cell and steady state of neural cell. excetp that the energy is needed for neural cell to make pump work.

Thanks.