Blindsight

Pam Blundell pjw106 at york.ac.uk
Mon Apr 3 05:37:03 EST 2000

"Marie" <toshrimpNOtoSPAM at hotmail.com.invalid> wrote in message
news:0eafa268.32ce734a at usw-ex0104-026.remarq.com...
> Blindsight is a visual discrimination in the absence of
> acknowledged awareness (weisskrantz, 1990).
>
>  Patients with loss of vision following cortical brain damage to
> visual cortex, e.g V1 are referred to as cortically blind.  A
> person who has lost vision for one half of the visual field
> following unilateral damage is referred to having a condition
> called hemianopia (unilateral neglect).
>
> My question is simply how could you describe the behavioural
> characteristics of these two conditions?  what current models
> could explain these?  Could these two conditions be explained by
> the same models, and behavioural characteristics or are they
> completely separate?

Dear Marie,

hemianopia is not the same as unilateral neglect.  Neglect is a bizarre
disorder, and can be either object centred (people don't acknowledge that
one half of objects exist) or world centred (half of the world doesn't
exist).

I suggest you go and read Ellis and Youngs Human Cognitive Neuropsychology,
or Parkins Explorations in Cognitive Neuropsychology, as these books cover
the issues far better than I could.

Pam.