Aluminium

Ralph Leonhardt leo at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Fri Apr 7 02:43:42 EST 2000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2000 topalli at my-deja.com wrote:

> It has been conclusively shown that Aluminium exposure has no effect on
> the development of Alzheimer disease as has been shown by many
> independent laboratories.
>
> Aluminium is the second most common metal on the surface of the earth
> (besides Iron). It is not harmful.

Hi there,

while you're probably right about the Alzheimer story (I did not keep up
with that), Aluminium is definitely not harmless. For example,
Al-compounds have been shown to affect voltage activated calcium channel
currents in neurons in a pH-dependent manner, as has been shown in
studies by Platt & Buesselberg et al. Looking through the literature you
will find more indications for Al-toxicity (e.g. dialysis dementia).

Greetings, Leo

Ralph Leonhardt (Dipl.-Biol.)			Tel.:	+49 (0)234 322 5559
Inst. f. Neuroinformatik, Geb. ND 04/297	Fax:	+49 (0)234 321 4209
Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum
D-44780 Bochum, Germany

E-mail: ralph.leonhardt at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de