squisofrenic info( help!)

chriswilk at my-deja.com chriswilk at my-deja.com
Sat Apr 8 09:33:30 EST 2000

Schizophrenia is a psychiatric disorder thought to be caused by
abnormalities in the dopamine synapses of the brain, with the symptoms
possibly caused  by excessive stimulation in the mesolimbic system.
Most of the medications that are used to treat the symptoms block
dopamine receptors. How the symptoms are caused and the exact actions
of the medications are not fully understood. That along with the fact
that each person's brain chemistry is different means that medications
need to be adjusted for each individual, and may need to be changed
over time.

There are some resources on the web.Here are a few of them:

The Schizophrenia Home Page
http://www.schizophrenia.com/
The schizophrenia.com website provides patients, family members, and
caregivers with information on schizophrenia and related mental
illnesses.

Schizophrenia information - advocacy groups
http://www.psychologyinfo.com/schizophrenia/links.htm
identifies schizophrenia advocacy and self-help groups

All About Schizophrenia - Mental Health Net
http://schizophrenia.mentalhelp.net/

In article <38ED3DB7.B6AD4A22 at aac.uc.pt>,
  Conselho de Veteranos <mcv at aac.uc.pt> wrote:
> Hello!
> I need information about depressive deceases like squisofrenic
persons.
> I need know if existes any cure, if it has an efective treatmente, if
> person can get worst even whith proper medication or if there is any
> kind of association that includes diferent activities for squisofrenic
> patientes.
>
> If any one can help me getting this kind of information I will be
> extremly apreciated!
>
> Sorry for my english but I'm a little rusty!
>
> Send replies to my e-mail : dulce_castilho at portugalmail.pt
>
> Best regards
>
> Dulce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/