Tucson 2000: Towards a Science of Consciousness

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Thu Apr 20 00:22:19 EST 2000

In news:sci.psychology.consciousness Karl Simanonok writes:

> Dear Psyche-D members,

> It was a pleasure to meet many of you who attended last week's
> meeting in Tucson.  For those who did not attend, it included
> an eclectic mix of researchers in various fields:

>        neurophysiology
>        psychology
>        philosophy
>        spirituality
>        meditation
>        psychedelics

> Each discipline has something to contribute to the understanding of
> who we are, in our essence -- to the understanding of consciousness.

Mentifex:
http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/theory5.html is a theory of mind
currently being implemented in various programming languages (q.v.)
and based on the idea that consciousness is simply a swirl of
attention-loops generating so convincing an illusion of
consciousness that the illusion is indeed consciousness.

> Especially outstanding to me were the presentations about synaesthesia
> and prosopagnosia (the inability to recognize faces) which graphically
> underscored that consciousness is not a single uniform phenomenon
> for all people, and the excellent presentation by D. Watt about
> periaqueductal gray matter that illustrated how greatly consciousness
> is dependent on brainstem functioning (in sharp contrast to the
> dominant paradigm that consciousness is a cortical phenomenon).

Mentifex:
Brainstem -- isn't that the reticular activating formation?
So even if consciousness *is* a cortical phenomenon, the brainstem
can switch consciousness on and off, like waking and sleeping.

> For those of you that expressed interest in my presentation
> about a proposed mechanism for consciousness via physiologically
> functional endogenous light, it is on the Web at
> http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/karl/consciousness.html .
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

> I hope to meet many more of you in person at the next Tucson meeting.

Mentifex:
In the immortal words of Watergate luminary John Dean,
"What an exciting prospect."

But why wait two years for each succeeding Tucson conference?

In the immortal words of Camelot luminary Robert F. Kennedy,
"Why not...?" -- why not !*intersperse*! two biannual powwows
that meet, taken together, every single year of the Numillennium?

Even years (2000, 2002, +2, +2... ) the Tucson AZ USA conscference.

Odd years ( ... 2001, +2, +2... ) the Seattle WA USA IJCPDAI bang.

And 2001 need not be a Seattle Space Needle Odyssey, Stanley,
because the World Wide Web of Virtual Reality, Elvis, lets you
stick around while you get your Kubricks without leaving home:
http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/ijcpdai.html AI-VR Stonehenge.

--
Come one, come all AI hackers and mindmakers on 5-10 Aug 2001 to
http://www.geocities.com/mentifex/ijcpdai.html : IJCPDAI-01 the