Forth compiler?

jiva jiva* at humboldt1.com
Sun Apr 30 12:43:48 EST 2000

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 13:40:46 GMT, Paul Victor Birke <nonlinear at home.com>
wrote:

>Dear Jeff
>
>Was there every a higher level language like BASIC that could be
>compiled into FORTH code?
>In other works you could write in non forth terminology yet get the
>speed and compactness.
>I left Forth in the early 1980s when I got my first Ohio Scientific PC
>in 1979 with Interpretive BASIC from Bill Gates BTW!

A lot of languages switched to compile vs interpret a LONG time back.
The forth you used may have also not been exactly compiled to native
code but rather "compiled" to forth but was substantially faster and
smaller than the interpreted basic.  Forth is still alive and well but
with a limited following. What you may be looking for today will
depend on the platform and application you want to develop.

Here's a couple of forth resources:
 http://www.taygeta.com/forth.html
www.forth.org

"Goodbye" said the fox to the Little Prince. "And now here is my secret,
 a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can rightly see,
 what is essential is invisible to the eye"
 from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's "The Little Prince"

jim bilderback -- please remove the * if you'd care to email.