What the Neocortex Does

Bill Skaggs skaggs at bns.pitt.edu
Tue Aug 1 09:43:11 EST 2000

herwin at gmu.edu (Harry Erwin) writes:

> I'm beginning to suspect a primary function of the neocortex is the
> maintenance of a non-symbolic, dynamic model of the environment. The
> evidence seems fairly strong that bats live mostly in such a model
> (Griffin, 1958), and the difficulty we have training bats to use
> symbolic representations (yes/no tokens) in communicating with us,
> suggests that their internal model is non-symbolic, possibly like the
> analog models used in some contexts like wind tunnels and floatation
> tanks.

Hi Harry!

I gather from this that you're having trouble training a bat to do a
task.

Anyway, you may be right but I don't think the argument is convincing.
Whatever sort of environment-model bats have, they certainly are
capable of using it to make at least some binary distinctions (e.g.,
moth/leaf).

	-- Bill