Antipsychiatry, Bioethics & Neuroscience

sisial sisial at email.msn.com
Sat Aug 5 16:37:22 EST 2000

Damn! I did it again.  I apologize for sending this by e-mail.

***********************************

"Nick Medford" <nick at hermit0.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Figures I have seen, and my own experience, do not support this assertion.
> It is certainly true in some cases. However many people who are initially
> very against taking these drugs have a profound shift of attitude once
they
> find that the drugs help, if only to some extent.

Designer drugs have been around a long time.  If you're going to do them,
the least you can do is do so in consultation with a professional. :)

Sometimes, there are situations where drugs are the only real alternative.
I mean, I generally avoid use of chemical therapies, but I have no problem
admitting that there are occasions when it becomes necessary.  The real
problem is when the use of designer drugs becomes the norm, and pressures
and coercion are applied on people to take them.

Pressure and coercion; these have become the rule, not the exception.  I
have frequently been denied access to resources I need to reintegrate with
society because it is said that I am not taking meds.  Rules are written
which state that clients must be compliant with medications if they are to
receive services.

This rule is used even in situations where the psychiatrist has declined to
recommend medications.

I went to my psychiatrists shortly after moving here, as the result of
several coercive tactics used by my case workers.  After going through the
diagnostic process and reviewing my record, the psychiatrist had inquired
regarding my concerns.  After a long frank discussion, he said that I seemed
obviously well aware of my own behavior patterns, and that I seemed to do
well at coping.  He also said that my concerns seemed warranted given
current medical understanding.  He declined to recommend medications, but
stated that he would be willing to act as my medical consultant, and would
probably have no problem  recommending medications at any time that I felt
them to be necessary.  I expressed my concerns about the med compliance
thing, and told him I was concerned I would be further denied services if I
wasn't taking medications.  He suggested that this was likely not the case;
something I was willing to accept.

If the psychiatrists felt it was not necessary to recommend medications,
then medication was a non-issue.  However, my case workers continued to be
almost obsessive in their focus on medication.  I explained time and again
that I would only consider medication if it was recommended by the
psychiatrist.  Their response is that he has said he would recommend
medications if I felt they were necessary, so I should tell him I feel they
are necessary.

Eventually, I felt pressured into violating my own sense of integrity and
tried to convince the psychiatrist that I felt I needed the medications.  He
was not convinced.  We discussed the problem and he explained that I am far
more self-aware than most clients (indeed most people), and also that many
case managers have developed fears regarding clients who are not on
medications.  I decided to try discussing this with my case manager, but
things quickly worsened.  Eventually it reached point that nothing else
could be discussed except medication compliance.  I finally decided I would
be better of looking for other channels to obtain the resources I need.
And, even my rehab case was closed with the comment that they were unable to
provide services because I was too "idiosyncratic" and "intrinsically
motivated".

*******************************

BTW, I was frequently told things along the line of "many people who are
initially very against taking these drugs have a profound shift of attitude
once they find that the drugs help"

Note, I'm not saying it was your intent to coerce, only that the words you
use are often quoted in efforts to coerce.  I have no doubt of the accuracy
of the statement; the same could be said for people taking a wide range of
hallucinogens, stimulants, sedatives-depressants, and analgesics for
recreational purposes.

Hell, I spent most of my teenage years drunk.  I had even convinced myself
that it was helping.  Oh, I knew it wasn't.  Damn, it didn't even feel good
to be drunk.  I hated it.  However, it is easy to lie to yourself,
especially when you have people constantly telling you how much it is
helping.  I've said before, in the case of major depressive disorders,
people suffering from depression are very susceptible to suggestion.  And
many people are quite adept at manipulating this to their advantage.

I believe mental health clients should be obligated to make informed
decisions; and people in the psychiatric profession should be obligated to
only provide factual information to their clients.  Of course, I admit to
being an idealist.

*****************************

In regards to the ethical issues of designer drugs, I have none.  I would
rather see people going to a medical professional for them, than medicating
themselves.  However, it does concern me that designer drugs are becoming
the norm for establishing social conformity.  My own social theories suggest
that society must remain dynamic in order to adapt to changing
circumstances.

It's really too bad society can't be diagnosed and treated like individuals.
My lay opinion is that society suffers something along the lines of a
schizophrenic complex with paranoid tendencies; and that it is a danger to
both itself and to those around it and should probably be committed. :)

Well, sorry for rambling.  Just needed to blow steam.  It's amazing how one
relatively simple sentence can trigger such an emotional response.