Scientists 'locate' intelligence

MS marshmallow5 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 6 18:43:29 EST 2000

"Is working memory capacity Spearman's g?"
Kyllonen Patrick C.;
in Dennis;Ian;Tapsfield;Patrick;et al. Human abilities: Their nature and
measurement. Publisher Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc Mahwah. 1996.

 Abstract: C. Spearman's remarkable contributions to psychology centered
around his identifying the general factor in human cognition / he developed
numerous methods--still in use today--for analyzing ability test scores,
including reliability and factor analysis / these methods, particularly
factor analysis, enabled Spearman to establish the necessity of a general
factor of cognition, that is, a factor that influences virtually every
cognitive performance / [suggests] that working memory capacity is more
highly related to performance on cognitive tests, and is more highly related
to learning, both short-term and long-term, than any other cognitive factor
/ [suggests that] working memory capacity may indeed be essentially C.
Spearman's g /// working memory and other information processing abilities
[findings from traditional psychometrics, ties to cognitive psychology,
evaluation of the CAM framework] / working memory and reasoning ability /
working memory and cognitive skill acquisition [logic gates study, computer
programming study] / components of working memory ((c) 1997 APA/PsycINFO,
all rights reserved)

[excerpted from PsychInfo]

Marcello

news:39885cd9_4 at news3.prserv.net...