What the Neocortex Does

Manuel Cappello toglimi_capio at libero.it
Sat Aug 12 15:10:15 EST 2000

Kevin K. wrote

> The point is this: There is a continuum in the relationship between
> symbols and what they represent. Symbols for (say) an aircraft can be
> ranked according to their fidelity to the object being referenced. A set
> of blueprints for an F-15 has greater fidelity as a symbol than a set of
> sketches or photographs of an F-15. Likewise, the photos have greater
> fidelity than the word "F-15", which is completely arbitrary and has no
> fidelity at all.
>
> The distinction between symbolic and non-symbolic cannot be made in a
> principled way. The two are entangled. For instance, there are Chinese
> characters (crude pictures adapted to more properly symbolic purposes)
> or sentences like "The man chased the woman" which inadvertently mimic
> the actual situation in their syntactic structure.
>
> Kevin K.

I'm not sure (obviously...), but i guess:

1 you have experiences about an object, getting a representation of it in
your mind.
  for example you are a baby and the "object" is your mother
2 there is a word* ("mum") in your mind that you use like a symbol for that
object
  (* a rapresentation of the sound of the word)
  when you use that word(mum), there's in your mind also the represenation
of the
  mother
3 the word get from the representation some fundamental properties (for
example about
  the relation with you or your father)(may be by the Hebb rule)
4 you use the word "mum" as a symbol of the mum, and when you say "mum"
surely
  there's in your mind  the  representation of the sound of the word "mum",
and
  may be also the one of the "object" mum.
  Pls note that you have a neural structure that is representation of the
sound
  "mum" of the word and symbol of the mum

Do you agree?

regards