neuroanatomy of personality thru astrology

Ashlesha 9 ashlesha9 at aol.com
Tue Aug 15 15:40:35 EST 2000

Thank you so much for your interest.
I want to say first that I'm not trying to convince anyone that astrology is
legitimate or anything like that.  I'm really saying speculatively, the
following:

Assuming that astrology IS a valid way to get insight into someone's
psychological nature, then one could say that there are 7 celestial bodies and
12 constellations/ signs which, acc'd to their positions, define specific
qualities and characteristics that a person will show.
Assuming that to be true, you could say that: if a person is acting in ways
which were determined astrologically at birth, then they must have some
physical, presumably neural, traces of this astrological influence which was
impressed upon them at birth.
>From there, I think (?) what I'm saying is clear (I'll believe you if you say
otherwise).  The various planets, sun and moon are assumed to have analogs in
the brain.  The sign and house that the planet is in at birth give insight into
the specific manner that the mental faculty will function in.  For ex.,  in
reference to Jupiter and the frontal lobes, I meant that Jupiter's position at
birth would determine the psychological expression of frontal lobe activity.
One person may perform judgements and speculations (frontal lobe activity) in
an impulsive and enthusiastic manner ( if Jupiter is in Aries) and another
person may do so in a sensitive and emotional manner( if Jupiter is in Cancer),
etc.
And at the end of all these assumptions is the question: what neural mechanisms
could account for the different sign natures which are expressible.  The signs
themselves seem to vary from cold and impersonal to warm and personable.  This
variation, I'm guessing, is an expression of the level of flexibility which the
neural machinery associated with the sign has.  Warm and personable signs would
have very flexible representations and cold and impersonal signs would be much
more constrained in their representations making them more consistent but less
fluidic.  That's the part I was hoping for help with.

>1. What is the difference between astrology and sidereal astrology?

Sidereal astrology attempts to use actual positions of celestial bodies in the
constellations.  Magazine-type astrology is also called tropical astrology and
it uses a modification of actual positions which adds 23 degrees of arc to the
observable position.  For ex.,  if you look up at the night sky and see that
the moon is in the middle of the constellation Leo, a sidereal astrologer would
say that it is in the middle of Leo, which is about 15 degrees, a tropical
astrologer would say that it is at about 8 degrees in Virgo, which is 23
degrees later in the ecliptic.  Saying it is in Leo just makes more sense,
since it is!  The effects of this difference are pretty significant.

>2. What is different about India that makes this more credible to you?

I didn't mean it like that.  It's just that they're the only astrologers that I
know of that consistently use sidereal measurements.

>3. How could the planets have an effect on my brain that could shape my
>personality?

I have no answer to that.  But the accuracy that a birth chart has suggests (to
me, at least) that something causal is happening.

>4. What is a 'correpondence' in your view?

An analog I guess is a better word.  In this case, like an ' as above, so
below' type of thing.  Jupiter in the sky and frontal lobe in someone's head.

It might be foolish to think that it's all so cut -and -dried.  I guess another
question I could ask is if you were convinced of such a connection between the
planets and a person's psychology what might you attribute it to?

J.N.