Brain energy expenses

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Thu Aug 17 12:43:51 EST 2000

I believe that the total metabolism of the brain really doesn't change
much between "activity" and "rest".  That is, solving a "difficult"
intellectual problem doesn't use more energy than simply solving the
equally difficult problem of just living.

However, the details of exactly which brain centers are doing the
work changes dramatically, and that is the basis of the imaging
techniques you describe.

And the imaging techniques are nowhere near the resolution of seeing
individual cells, so that the exact "type" of cell involved in the activity
is hard to detect without making electrical recordings from single
cells -- an impossible task to monitor huge number in the brain, not to
mention being extremely invasive.

Perhaps an analogy might be to consider the overall energy use by
television sets during the political conventions vs. during a "normal"
evening.  Specific subpopulations might change their television usage
during this time, and other subpopulations might change which specific
channel is being watched, but the overall energy consumption in a large
city probably doesn't change by a detectable amount.

news:399C16D5.4ED7E5A8 at crchul.ulaval.ca...