What the Neocortex Does

Ray Scanlon rscanlon at wsg.net
Fri Aug 18 18:52:04 EST 2000

"Harry Erwin" <herwin at gmu.edu> wrote in message
news:1efk4vs.1p3o5v2f8rvu0N%herwin at gmu.edu...
> Side comment: I would estimate the percentage of neuroscientists and
> cognitive scientists who are concerned with the soul at less than 1%.
> Why? Because there's good experimental evidence (from studies of people
> who have had lesions due to stroke and other causes) that the soul does
> not exist in any sense meaningful to a religious person. The scientific
> concerns are with the mind and brain.

You are confused by the endless struggle to show that "mind" and "soul" are
not synonymous. Once it is clear that they are synonyms, everything falls
into place. Few neuroscientists (other than the seekers of the NCC) are
interested in the soul (mind). This is one of the things that they agree to
"put to one side" while they study the brain. On the other hand, the
cognitive scientists are interested in little else.

--
ray

Those interested in the brain might look at
www.wsg.net/~rscanlon/brain.htm