What the Neocortex Does

anon. someone at microsoft.com
Sat Aug 19 21:50:58 EST 2000

It seems to me that our friend Mr. Scanlon, enjoys more flaming and trolling
about in newsgroups insulting those who don't do exactly as he does nor
think exactly as he does, rather than saying anything productive . . .  and
who, Mr. Scanlon, established you as the High Arbiter of what is and isn't
science?  Studies in cognitive science vary along the field, and I assure
you, many in the field consider themselves solid empiricists.  You are a
neuroscientise, fine.  But that is no reason to pointlessly belittle those
who pursue another route to *scientific* understanding.  Cognitive science
is not psuedocience, despite what you may think.  But than again, what is
thinking? An activity of the soul purely, you would seem to say, and thus
your own statements, as you would say, come from naught . . . I know I
simplify, but there is a time to give things a rest Mr. Scanlon.   The
philosopher's angle on thinking, from the earliest to well-known 20th
century philosophers such as Heidegger and others is completely different
from what cognitive scientists pursue- though still not lacking in value.
Check you dictionary again, as well, Mr Scanlon- though your dictionary
lists the two words, soul and mind,  as synonyms, you must recognise that
this of course applies only in certain connotations.  As much as you would
like to equate them, thereby in your mind equating cognitive scientists to
religionists, the truth as the majority would recognise it is that their
meanings are not the same.  I've wasted too much time now responding to your
response- just what a good troll such as yourself would have wanted, I
assume!

news:399e876b.1170276 at news.freeserve.net...