Action Potential bandwidth

Bill Skaggs skaggs at bns.pitt.edu
Sun Aug 20 18:59:52 EST 2000

Iain McClatchie <iain at 10xinc.com> writes:

> [ . . . ]
>
> So I propose the ion channels are communicating by exchanging photons,
> using the cell membrane as a waveguide.  [ . . . ]

Hmm.  If the cell membrane can function as a wave guide, then
a nerve, which is basically just a bundle of membrane-tubes,
ought to be able to function as an optical fiber, right?  (For
some frequency range, at any rate.)  So your hypothesis would
seem to have at least one very easily testable prediction:  you
should be able to shine light on one end of a cut piece of nerve
and see it come out the other end.

	-- Bill