What the Neocortex Does

Ray Scanlon rscanlon at wsg.net
Mon Aug 21 18:58:30 EST 2000

"Bill Skaggs" <skaggs at bns.pitt.edu> wrote in message
news:m7wvhc3ssx.fsf at skaggs.bns.pitt.edu...
> "Ray Scanlon" <rscanlon at wsg.net> writes:
>
> > This paragraph leaves me confused. Neuroscientists and cognitive
scientists
> > should not appear in the same sentence anymore than paleontologists and
> > creation scientists should. The neuroscientist studies the nervous
system,
> > the cognitive scientist studies the soul (mind). The only
neuroscientists
> > who consider the soul (mind) are a quirky few who look for the NCC (the
> > neural correlate of consciousness.
>
> As a member of the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition (a joint
> program of the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon
> University, comprising 115 faculty, staff, and graduate students), I
> find these statements somewhat puzzling.  I would say that your
> "quirky few" amount to a couple thousand at least.

There are those who attempt to discover the neural activities that we (as
souls (minds)) coincidentally experience as thinking and emotion. Then there
are those who say, "I am a soul (mind) and I think, I feel. I will look for
such neural activities as may accompany my actions (as soul (mind)). I
wonder if the members of your Center may be divided in that manner? Possibly
you do not find the distinction meaningful.

--
ray

Those interested in the brain might look at
www.wsg.net/~rscanlon/brain.htm