Scientists 'locate' intelligence

mejqb at mejqb at
Tue Aug 22 07:54:52 EST 2000

In article <39a12868_1 at>,
  "Sergio Navega" <snavega at> wrote:
> mejqb at wrote in message <8nmnvd$eag$1 at>...
> >In article <39885cd9_4 at>,
> >tasks
> >Given the
> >impairment

> >> I agree. Although I'm sympathetic to the concept of general
> >intelligence,
> >> I don't think we have a specific area of the brain responsible for
> >> it. I think it is premature and somewhat "sensationalistic" to
> >> to have found such an area.
> >
> >The notion of a specific area of activity and the notion of a general
> >intelligence factor as propounded in The Bell Curve aren't even
> >vaguely related.
> I'm not sure why you bring The Bell curve to the discussion, as it
> offers something that's far from what has been discussed here.

It would help if you would actually *read* the thread once
in a while:

   Scientists measuring blood flow to regions of the brain have found
   that one particular area (the frontal lateral cortex) was stimulated
   when performing complex tasks. Even tasks that required a wide range
   of cognitive functions did not stimulate numerous regions of the
   brain, as some scientists predicted. This finding gives credence to
   the highly controversial idea of a "g" factor (generalized
   intelligence), as advocated in The Bell Curve.

<J Q B>

Sent via
Before you buy.