What the Neocortex Does

Ray Scanlon rscanlon at wsg.net
Tue Aug 22 21:17:11 EST 2000

"James Hunter" <James.Hunter at Jhuapl.edu> wrote in message
news:39A2FFDA.A3D11391 at Jhuapl.edu...
>    Your theory of the brain is OK, but the critical part concerning AI and
> particulary comp.ai.philosophy
>    is the question on your Webpage:
>
>    "What is thought except a movement that is not connected to a motor
neuron?"

>     The answer is:
>
>     "Thought is something to think about".

It is the religionists who "think about thinking".

The whole purpose of my little exercise was to show how a motor program
could be stopped en route and never arrive at the motor neurons. This to be
done with what I call Science, that is to remove God (soul, mind) from the
machine.

When this is done, the religionists are free to debate on how these actions
of the neurons are related to the experiences of the soul (mind).

In my opinion, when the neuroscientists have worked out the brain, Science
will be seen to have culminated in this final assault on the physical world.
Religion will become more important in the form of philosophy.

--
ray

Those interested in the brain might look at
www.wsg.net/~rscanlon/brain.htm