Brain energy expenses

Richard Norman rsnorman at mediaone.net
Thu Aug 31 19:00:48 EST 2000

I apologize if I wasn't clear.  Certainly, whether we are doing intellectual
tasks
or letting or mind drift, we are always making sure that we maintain our
bodily functions.  I was trying to say what you said more clearly -- the
total
energy consumption of the brain does not change significantly with what
we are thinking about or concentrating on.  The pattern of which regions
of the brain shifts.  But it leaves an interesting question, what is the
brain
doing most of the time, anyway?  I guess that merely seeing and interpreting
the world around us (to use the visual system as an example) takes just
as much energy as focusing our attention on some fine visual detail.

"Vytautas" <Slotkusl at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:39aebf8d at news.takas.lt...

> Richard Norman, sorry, but you are absolutely wrong.  You say literaly,
that
> when we try to solve difficult tasks our brain "forgets" to make the data
> procesing necesary for keeping alive the body. Yes, one of your points is
> right, but not in the meaning you try to give it. Yes, when we do complex
> tasks the distribution of energy usage changes dramaticaly, so some
regions
> of the brain, previously inactive, suddenly consume more energy, that the
> regions responsible of autonomic, somatic functions of the body. May be
you
> simply did not expressed yourself clear, so I missunderstanded your text,
In