deja vu

Mark D. Morin mdmpsyd at
Mon Dec 4 05:52:34 EST 2000

Robert M Best wrote:

> I botched the last paragraph.  Here is a rewrite:
> Rapid recall requires neural mechanisms that overcome the slow speed and
> unreliability of individual neurons.  And rapid neural mechanisms that
> result in a few rare errors have much better survival value than accurate
> but slow neural mechanisms.   If a child's recall of dangerous episodes is
> slower than their actions, they will not reach adulthood.  If they think "Oh
> yes, now I remember, the mushroom I just ate was the same kind of poisonous
> mushroom that killed my sister" their episodic memory will be useless to
> them.  It is therefore biologically necessary for recall of episodic
> memories to operate quickly, even though the neural mechanisms that make
> this possible may result in occasional false deja vu recalls.

It really doesn't change the fact that frequent déjà-vu is a red flag for
seizure activity.

"I'll remind you that men never do evil so completely and
cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.  Put
another way, in general, bad people do evil things; good
people do good things.  But, it takes religion to make a good
person do something really bad."
                    --Jill Tarter, member of SETI

for e-mail replies, remove the obvious