The mitochondrion as a flip-flop memory element in neurons

Harry Erwin harry at dherwin.org
Sat Dec 30 08:38:40 EST 2000

Andrew Gyles <syzygium at alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> In article <1em5pk4.o6790e18vyni8N%harry at dherwin.org>,
>   harry at dherwin.org (Harry Erwin) wrote:
>
> <snip>
> >
> > Yes, the sensitivity of neurons appears to be time and spiking-order
> > dependent. In the bat, we have a very nice monotonic inhibitory signal
> > that dies down as the time since the call was generated increases.
> >
> > --
> > Harry Erwin, PhD, <mailto:harry at dherwin.org>,
> > Senior Lecturer in Computing at the University of Sunderland,
> > Computational Neuroscientist (modeling bat behavior) and
> > Senior SW Analyst and Security Engineer.
> >

> Are there cases in which a receiving neuron decodes information from
> the time intervals between spikes received at a single synapse?

I don't think that is known yet. We've only traced the neuronal circuits
in detail through three to four stages so far. We get transduction in
the hair cells, the spiral ganglion cells and for the most part in the
bushy cells of the cochlear nucleus (which seem to be very good edge
detectors). I have _speculated_ that there may be inhibitory reafference
operating at all or any of these stages. Significant convergence first
occurs at the next (fourth) stage. e-mail me off-line.