Transcranial magnetic stimulator

Mark Morin mmorin at
Thu Feb 3 19:02:45 EST 2000

Marco de Innocentis wrote:
> In article <3898C792.66EC2162 at>, Mark Morin
> <mmorin at> wrote:
> >> I'm a mathematical physicist, but I don't really know much
> about
> >> the structure of the brain. Do you think it would be possible
> >> stimulate the temporal lobes by means of such a device?
> >
> >not only do I think so but I've had it done several times (one
> of the
> >pitfalls of working in a hospital with a research lab looking
> for
> >control subjects).
> What exactly did you feel when your temporal lobes were
> magnetically stimulated? Anything to do with "disembodied"
> feelings or mystical experiences, by any chance?

nothing like that, just the feeling of rapid tapping on my scalp and my
right forfinger moving.  The two experiments I was in were looking at
effects on mood and reaction time. Well, effects on one's learning curve
to be more specific.  The mood effects are much more subtle than you
describe but I have seen depressed patients swear by it.

> Incidentally, was it the left or right temporal lobe - or
> both?

Left, both times.

This simple thing has not been that easy to learn.  It certainly went
everything I had been taught since I was very young.  I thought people
only because they were too timid to speak or did not know the answer.  A
silence often has far more power to heal and connect than most well
intentioned words.
		Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D.
		Kitchen Table Wisdom
Psychology FAQ (a work in progress)  mailto:postmaster at