the brain

dag.stenberg at dag.stenberg at
Sat Feb 26 03:47:25 EST 2000

FwlrAndrw at wrote:
> I, and a bunch of friends were wondering what percentage of the brain does
> the average human utilize.  we are debating in between 8% and 20%.  Pleas
> email me back with the results of the average percentage of use from the
> human brain.

There is no reasonable answer to that. I do hope nobody bet on any

In all probability every part of the brain is used at some time.

As to how many per cent of the brain is, on average, in use
simultaneously, all figures given are completely fictituous
and based on assumptions.

This discussion was recently covered in this newsgroup
(bionet.neuroscience) and you should be able to find in DejaNews.

Dag Stenberg
Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: (int.+)358-9-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: (int.+)358-9-1918681
P.O.Box 9        (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland