Hippocampal Function

Brian Scott brians at echo-on.net
Sat Jan 1 05:01:51 EST 2000

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi wrote:

> > Brian Scott <brians at interlog.com> wrote:
> > > I don't have the reference here but this group used the standard
> > > bromodeoxyuridine techniques for measuring cell division along with
> > > cell-type markers to show an increase in neurogenesis following
> > > administration of several antidepressants as well as ECS.  I think
> > > Druganow was one of the authors but I'm not sure.  I think their point
> > > was that neurogenesis may underlie some of the antidepressant effects of
> > > these treatments.
>
> You probably did not mean Jacobs' and Fornal's BrdU work, but the other
> one (but there was no Druganov):

Yes, that's the one.  I think they also had some data at their poster
showing the development of these cells into neurons...expressing
neuronal markers etc. several weeks later.  Is there a reliable
behavioural measure of the action of these drugs in an animal depression
model?  I'm curious to know if one wipes out the neuronal precursor
population (using external radiation for example), if this will affect
the antidepressant action of these drugs in an animal model.
I was not aware of Jacobs' and Fornal's abstract.  Thanks for pointing
it out.

Brian