Mind a no-brainer?

dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi dag.stenberg at helsinki.nospam.fi
Sun Jan 2 10:37:02 EST 2000

damscot at my-deja.com wrote:
> If Monists were right, then any brain would then be both objective to
> and functionally generative of its own subjective mind, if it had one.
> That is, the brain itself would have to directly perceive and yet
> subsume itself as mind, and thus be both subjective/superior and
> objective/inferior at the same time - which seems obviously
> contradictory - and therefore, impossible.

Your reasoning does not have to be right. If the mind emerges at the
result of the action of numerous nerve cell elements, it is still
something that the individual cells did not produce before they got
interconnected and generated the mind (the whole is more tan the parts).
  Now as the mind emerges from the consorted action of the cell
elements, it creates an environment that was not in the original
ementary functions. Whatever results from the operations of the mind
(goal-seeking behavior, awareness, memories, speech and communication
and whatnot) will influence the cells in the brain, thus changing their
mode of operation, which will feed back upon the mind, etc.
  To me, there is no contradiction in this. But I never thought it out
for myself before reading Roger Sperry, who was definitely a monist, and
who has put the principle into words more clearly and in detail.

Dag Stenberg