Psychiatric Confusion?

chriswilk at my-deja.com chriswilk at my-deja.com
Tue Jan 4 08:40:41 EST 2000

In article <385c5f14.206946841 at news.erols.com>,
  <Ian at Goddard.net> (Ian Goddard) wrote:

> Is anyone aware of research/inquiry addressing the question
> of whether or not low serotonin in those with depression
> is a consequence rather than the cause of depression?
>
> In short, if someone working at a place they want to work
> gets a "YOU'RE FIRED" note, it stands to reason that their
> serotonin would drop. Peter Breggin would say the man became
> depressed due to his personal situation, however, biological
> psychiatry could tend to suggest that he's depressed because
> he has low serotonin levels. In short, just because buzzards
> on the ground are always found near dead animals, it does
> not follow that buzzards have caused any animals to die.
> Is biological psychiatry confusing consequence with cause?

I've been following this thread, and came across a news release
reporting that an article in PNAS (Reference: Dec. 21, 1999 Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences, vol. 96, no. 26 pp. 15239-15244.)
implicated BDNF as (one of?) the signals linking behavior/emotions to
seroton levels. BDNF knockdown mice had damaged serotonin systems, and
displayed behaviors similar to those seen in bulemia, as well as
increased aggression and impulsivity.

Chris

> GODDARD'S JOURNAL: http://www.erols.com/igoddard/journal.htm

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/