Mind a no-brainer?

Etaoin Shrdlu cooper17.spamless at xs4all.nl
Tue Jan 4 06:16:44 EST 2000

<damscot at my-deja.com> wrote in message news:84m4ce$ngm$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> According to most Monist researchers, it seems, all mental perception
> of objective reality and conception occurs within the "brain".

I can't think of anything I perceive _without_ using my brain.

>But I
> say they are wrong!

What are you experiencing that is not first interpreted by your brain?

>My thoughts, like a Cartesian Dualist, go like this:
> If Monists were right, then any brain would then be both objective to
> and functionally generative of its own subjective mind, if it had one.

Well, there's been a lot of very interesting writing over the centuries
generated by exactly this concept. You've rather pegged the bit most people
find interesting about it.

> That is, the brain itself would have to directly perceive and yet
> subsume itself as mind, and thus be both subjective/superior and
> objective/inferior at the same time - which seems obviously
> contradictory - and therefore, impossible.

Paradox has very little to do with impossibility, beyond the strictly
causational macro world. I don't find the concept above any more implausible
than the fact that all perception must take place through the senses,
producing a world interpretation composed of interpretation of sensory
input, therefore taking place picoseconds after the fact and filtered, which
has been pointed out by many neuroscientists, philosophers, etc.,
essentially to mean that the universe, which contains mind, is, to us,
contained within mind. I find this a perfectly graspable idea, and have yet
to think of anything which to me contradicts it. It is important not to
confuse the map with the territory.
--Katrina