sinapses&weights

steve at tropheus.demon.co.uk steve at tropheus.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 05:51:35 EST 2000

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:12:38 +0100, "Bruno Herencic" <bruher at usa.net>
wrote:

>How are those sinapse weights set in a human brain? I understand we can
>simulate a simple neural net on a computer and change those weights, but how
>did the nature set those weights? when? are they being changed over the
>time... how? if a brain wants to remember something, memorize, or do
>something, it must change those weights, doesn't it? this means input data
>can have some inapct on those nets in the brain...?

During my 20 years working on artificial neural networks I have become
more and more convince that they have very little similarity to the
real neural networks in the brain. I'm not aware of any biological
equivalent to the weights and bias in an artificial neuron. If such
weights exist then I would suggest that they are set and adjusted by
the local release of neuro-chemicals rather than by some action
similar to back propagation in artificial neural networks.

Steve
--
Steve Wolstenholme
Neural Network Applications for Windows