sinapses&weights

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 5 06:51:25 EST 2000

hi Bruno, all of the 'plasticity' that occurs within nervous systems is
determined by the actual activation that occurs within the nervous
system.

these activation-dependent trophic ("growth") dynamics occur in a way
that's analogous to the way plants grow toward sunlight.

within the nervous system, neural activation is analogous to sunlight.

what Neuroscience does can be viewed as mapping and explicating the flow
of such "sunlight" (neural-activation-dependent trophic dynamics) within
the nervous system.

activation-dependence is sufficient be-cause survival is
rigorously-coupled to environmental energy-content.

if a behavior that is converged upon results in 'moving toward'
increased environmental energy-content (for example, "food"), then the
relative-ease that an organism experiences results in the augmentation
of the neural activation that has been converged upon. and so, that
augmented neural activation strongly guides neural trophic dynamics.

conversely, if a behavior that is converged upon results in 'moving away
from' increased environmental energy-content, then the
relative-difficulty that an organism experiences results in the
disruption of the neural activation that has been converged upon. and
so, that disrupted neural activation only weakly guides neural trophic
dynamics.

be-cause of this environmental-energy-dependent neural-activation
differential over 'time' nervous systems 'move toward' environmental
sources of energy and 'move away from' the opposite of such.

the main 'problem' in all of this is that, in the absence of anything
else, it would result in nervous systems becoming 'stuck' in
locally-maximized environmental-energy "valleys".

nervous systems have, innate within them, elegant mechanisms to handle
this (surmounted via the mechanisms of "curiosity", "creativity" and
"volition") 'problem'. all such "mechanisms" were explicated in the
early 1980s, and the thing that determines everything remains, as above,
activation-dependence.

K. P. Collins