Mind a no-brainer?

patrik bagge patrik-b at online.no
Thu Jan 6 14:25:51 EST 2000

[don]
Brain and Mind are different species as are hardware and program.
I see Mind (program) as purely an abstract (non-physical) entity; Brain
(computer) as a purely physical entity. Thought is a physical (Chem.,
elec) process, but "meaning" is not. Mind is the meaning of thought.
This is my own understanding of such.

[pat]
i disagree a bit and when one comes close to the atomic level
, the distinction disappears.
A running program (processor) is the physical movement
of electrons according to the specification (program)
The human brain has, of course, some more chemical/biological
'stuff' going on.
The 'program' of a human brain is very complex and includes
not only reason and conscious thought, but also many
subconscious information processes. Furthermore
it's a , from experience, selfmodifying piece of 'wetware'
One has to admire the engineer... whoever that was.

[don]
Yes it is amazing to me that
brains can process thoughts, even of thought itself. But, I don't think
brains can understand themselves, not ever. That would require
understanding understanding itself. As you approach it, it changes.
Your very observation modifies it. Like the uncertainty Principle.

[pat]
Well, if one should try to 'understand' ones current thoughts
and processes, it gets very self-referential.
I was suggesting more at a 'functional' module level.
Part A does B and inputs C while producing D.
If all modules could be modelled/understood this way
we would have come far. In the equation one also has
to put all experience until current point in time for a particular
individual + pre-programmed instincts.
Makes complete analysis a bit tricky.

'funny' sidenote:
since we seldom really forget anything and the brain
probably stores some concepts/experience by permanent
chemical / connectivist states, there might be some
'knowledge' past death.... interesting thought, no?

Yours
/pat