Neurogenesis & global neural plasticity via topologically-distributed activation-dependence

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 18:54:47 EST 2000

i apologize for wanting to keep this discussion all-together, but it's
important that i do so.

kenneth Collins wrote:

> [...]
> > immediately-clear to me that there is a 'War' that's been going-on, of
> > which i was unaware before reading this article. (Most of why i've not
> > allowed myself to read in the Neuroscience stacks has been because i
> > wanted to give folks the opportunity to get things sorted-out without
> > interference from me.)
> >
> > the Authors argue (=my= summary) that evidence they've accumulated, via
> > the elimination of retinal inputs, supports the view that the formation
> > of ocular-cominance columns in visual cortex 'must' be mediated by
> > 'molecular markers' because, after the elimination of retinal inputs to
> > the lateral geniculae, the formation of the ocular dominance columns,
> > nevertheless occurs relatively 'normally', 'and so', it 'cannot be
> > dependent upon activation-dependence'.
> >
> > for those who want to check it out, see the discussion of the superior
> > colliculus on p189ff of _The Human Nervous System_, by R. Nieuwenhuys,
> > J. Voogd, C. van Huijzen, Third Revised Edition, © 1978-1988,
> > Springer-Verlag, ISBN: 0-387-13441-7. (see, also, the rest of this fine
> > text.)
> >
> > visual, auditory, and somatosensory activation is all
> > topologically-mapped in the superior colliculi, which project to the
> > Pulvanar (thalamus), which projects to the lateral geniculate and to
> > primary visual cortex (areas 17, 18, 19).
> >
> > the superior colliculi also project to several brain stem reticular
> > nuclei, which, as is discussed in AoK,  through relays, elevate TD E/I
> > globally, to the cerrebellum, and down to spinal levels from which
> > activation flows back to thalamus to cortex, with TD E/I-minimization as
> > is discussed in AoK.
> >
> > now, for folks who still have the little QBASIC Information Calculus
> > program that i posted a while back, fire it up and study the
> > relative-motion dynamics of the 2nd Derivative.
> >
> > these relative-motion dynamics, which are discussed as 'sliding fields'
> > in AoK, Ap6, are the stuff through which the cortical 'columns' (and
> > 'stripes') are formed =throughout= cortex.
>
> i left some stuff out (because it's all so familiar to me, my PTOFA [in
> NDT, "Prejudice TOward the FAmiliar; pronounced "too' - fa"] resulted in
> me failing to realize that other folks are unlikely to comprehend the
> stuff i was discussing), so i'll go over that stuff, briefly, here.
>
> the relative-motion dynamics, pointed out above, and demonstrated in the
> little InfoCalc QBASIC program, are internal-activation the result of
> =all= orientation. when one moves one's arm, for instance, the motion
> vector 'slides' across subcortical and cortical somatotopical 'maps'.
>
> =all= effector-driving results in the same sort of thing, and be-cause
> of the physical energy-flow dynamic that is what's been referred to as
> 'gravity' establishes, and maintains, a least-action 'energy-well', all
> such neural-activation dynamics 'hover', topologically, around
> 'center-points', which are the centers of 'cortical columns'.

there's no 'mystery' here. it's all an interaction of body-orientation
=mechanics= with neural-activation dynamics. where the energy-flow that
is what's been referred to as 'gravity' comes into play is via the
stereotypically-repetitive =mechanics= that 'gravity' imposes on bodily
motion, including orientation.

when one walks, for instance, one's arms 'hover' around the position
that's least energy consuming with respect to 'gravity', so the
correlated neural trophic dynamics 'hover' around the correlated
least-action (TD E/I-minimized) 'state.

the same occurs in-utero be-cause 'gravity' always acts toward the
center of Earth, so even though a fetus has 'freedom' to to orient
within the birth fluid, the early effector activations are all subjected
to "gravity'" single force vector. this means that, despite fetal
orientation in the womb, effector activations that oppose 'gravity' will
be qualitatively-'opposite' effector activations that 'go-with'
'gravity'. such yields the same 'centering' dynamics that were discussed
previously, and precipitate the same 'hovering' of neural activation
'states' that result in the development of 'cortical columnar'
structure.

more below.

> [...]
> > instead of 'stockpiling' B. S., there'd be funding enough to reward all
> > that can, in fact, do Neuroscience.
> >
> > after all, we must "Teach the Children Well", and that's a
> > forever-needing-to-be-renewed Obligation.
> >
> > i =Apologize= for my Offensiveness. Further Delay is Unconscionable.
> >
> > this said, I found, while spending some hours with the Dec., 1999 issue
> > of _Nature Neuroscience_, which is the only issue of the publication
> > that i've ever looked into, that it is the best such publication that
> > i've encountered, and, within my means to get to a copy of it, plan to
> > study it routinely for my foreseeable future.
> >
> > so, folks should come to terms with the globally-integrated functional
> > Neuroanatomy, and eliminate the B. S., or i'll Fulfill my Obligation to
> > Science, and do the latter for folks.
> >
> > how can a man, that no one will even talk to, do things in any other
> > way?
> >
> > should i have written this msg without pointing out the B. S.?
> >
> > that's what i've been doing for 29 years, isn't it?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > All the while being forced to Watch as Innocents have been Ravaged,
> > while folks upon whom they rely 'seek profits' and produce B. S.
> >
> > "Enough." (Yitshak Rabin)
> >
> > Me Too. K. P. Collins]
>
> it goes on Forever, in the way that's discussed above...
> =Awesome-Infinities=, that go right into the Hearts of Physics and
> Chemistry, Renewing those Sciences in their Entireties... which is why
> there'll =ALWAYS= be work for folks who wish to pursue Neuroscience.
>
> the stuff of Neuroscience is Rigorously-Coupled to the entirety of the
> Universe. Study Neuroscience, come to Know the Universe.
>
> it hurts so much to have had to address such Awesome-Wonder Stuff as i
> have in 'this' msg.
>
> i started weeping while copying the articles in Bass Hall, and haven't
> ceased such since, my tears chilling my face as i walked, this a.m., to
> the Corner Store to purchase the morning's News... "It's so cold out, my
> eyes are watering."
>
> Oh, my Jesus,
>
> Forgive us our sins.
>
> Save us from the fires of Hell.
>
> And lead all Souls to Heaven,
>
> especially those in most-need of Your Mercy.
>
> K. P. Collins [noting that everything Good & Worthy begins, and grows,
> in Individual Hearts, Gloriously-Possessing Free Will, Derived in the
> physically-Unalterable Independence that is the energy-flow Consequence
> of Human Life, and that what is,results from how such
> In-Individual-Hearts Stuff is Nurtured. the "fires of Hell" and the Joy
> of Heaven begin in the same 'place', for the same Reason. Leaders Know
> the Difference, and how to Proceed with respect to such. Remember such
> as you consider your vote in this 'Political' season, because the
> year-we-have-left that i 'spoke' to folks about, ~a year ago, has come
> and gone. the 'Fate' of Humanity will follow as Humanity either 'moves

there's much, much more, all of it Awesomely-Beautiful. all of it so
much more easily communicated at a chaulkboard.

when i regain my 'Heart', i'll look for articles that will give folks a
'starting-point', and discuss more stuff.

ken (K. P. Collins)