Essay on Medical Paradigms

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 20:54:56 EST 2000

hi, Julien.

julien colomb wrote:

> Steven Harris wrote:
> >
> >very interesting stuff
>
> just don't forget that some medication (like "aspirin") work very well
> without us to understand why and how. (in the same way we don't
> understand how a bicycle work in the details!)
> So I think it's normal and good to give a medication if we think it will
> work (and we tested it of course).
>
> colomb, student

for a long 'time', my elderly Father used a stationary 'bike' in his
exercise routine. when he had to give up driving, as he turned 90, i got
him an adult trike so he could get around town.

when he first tried it out, he had some difficulty taking corners.

turned out that his long experience on his stationary 'bike' carried
over to the trike, and he wasn't shifting his body weight as is
necessary while taking a corner.

so he stopped using the stationary 'bike', practiced on his trike, and
now, during the warm months, gets around town just fine, gaining some
local noteriety because he rides for miles and miles.

all of life is like this, and it's good to be aware that an 'artificial'
thing can interfere with a 'natural' thing, and to make correct
decisions with respect to the two.

of course, i'm writing in analogy to artificially-driven neural dynamics
vs. naturally-driven neural dynamics, and cautioning against seeking to
skip, via artificial means, the work inherent in 'practicing', so as to
enable naturally-driven neural dynamics, because the latter have
far-reaching benefits that are forsaken through resort to the former,
and, therefore absent where they need not be absent.

of course, if i have a headache, i take a couple of asprin.

cheers, ken collins