Mind a no-brainer?

kenneth Collins kpaulc at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 6 21:19:12 EST 2000

damscot at my-deja.com wrote:

>[...]

> Brain and Mind are different species as are hardware and program. I see
> Mind (program) as purely an abstract (non-physical) entity; Brain
> (computer) as a purely physical entity. Thought is a physical (Chem.,
> elec) process, but "meaning" is not. Mind is the meaning of thought.
> This is my own understanding of such. Yes it is amazing to me that
> brains can process thoughts, even of thought itself. But, I don't think
> brains can understand themselves, not ever. That would require
> understanding understanding itself. As you approach it, it changes.
> Your very observation modifies it. Like the uncertainty Principle.

Forgive me, please, what you say is False.

the only thing, with respect to 'mind', that is not completely
Biological is the energy-flow that comes to the nervous system from the
external experiential environment.

and the brain (nervous system) is capable of understanding how the brain
(nervous system) processes information, just as it's capable of
understanding anything else within physical reality.

what it cannot do is predict the entirety of the energy-flow that comes
to it from the external experiential environment.

and as far as the 'change' that seems to occur as one observes more and
more closely, such 'just' occurs as a function of learning which occurs
within the brains of both observer and observed.

brains are like anything else that's studied, and typically, the more
one studies, the more one comes to see what was in-there all along.

with respect to such, it's important to realize that, sometimes, the
observed 'change' occurs as a function of the observer's learning.

ken (K. P. Collins)