advanced therapy clinics

A N Nagy annagy at hsc.vcu.edu
Fri Jan 14 22:23:20 EST 2000

So, if I understand correctly, what you have said is Mozart's music
soothes you because its two opposing harmonics, each producing a music
actention, provides an outlet for potentially distressful pre-emotional
brain states by helping to keep them from becoming the dominant focus of
actention for the individual.

The following questions arise from this:
1) Does music with multiple harmonics sound like cacaphony because there
are more music actections than the brain can keep track of, thereby
causing irritaion and annoyance? If so then one could write music that
would deliberately annoy (Rites of Spring).
2) Will any other paired sensory oppositions be able to keep distressful
brain states from becoming the focus of actection? For instance two
amorphous colours slowly vyeing for the same space; ie a lava lamp. Or
perhaps directing focus to any two simple elements: screen savers with
shapes that are moving & changing.

Idea to be Overthrown--
Although two opposing elements may be sufficient to provide distraction
of the actection dominant focus, I don't believe they are suffient to
account for all of the soothing sensation provided by Mozart's music. In
his music lies a beauty universally appreciated that is not easily
replicated by a rhythmic grouping of random notes of the same harmonic
in opposing movements. I think that an additional characteristic
required for a event/object to be perceived as beutiful it must have a
gradual change and not an abrupt one. I think that this is why, to go
from one tone to the next in music the technique used most often is to
scal up the interceding notes until the desireded tone is reached. It
would be extremely challenging to write a sonorouls piec of music if one
were prevented from ever using adjacent notes. Beethoven, however, has
given us a multitude of examples of  beauty of attained by use of
sometimes nearly entirely adjacent notes. I think that by using a slow
gradation of cahnge the brain is more easily able to follow and does not
have to work so hard to link to two events as connected pieces of a
whole. A sunset is another example of gradation (this time of color)
generating beauty. The lava lamp too, is slowly changing and is
peculiarly beautiful and fascinating. I think that if one constructed a
lavalamp screen saver, but instead of having the size change slowly, it
changed abruptly from large to small and then back again, it would be
disconcerting and in no way beautiful although it still might be
fascinating. Of course if it changed size/color fast enough it might
fool the brain into perceiving it as "a highly rapidly changing object"
which might again become beautiful because the brainnot having enough
time to process any single image, might see it as its own object, a sort
of gradually varying blur. But I have digressed onto shakey groung in
this special case.

The other screen saver, the floating shape/color changing trapezoid I
think of as sometimes fascinating/mesmerizing, but not really beautiful.
I don't know completely why but I suspect it may be because it is
arriving into my brain at too high of a processor level. Sound, the most
primitive sensation (after touch) and the one with the most
interconnections in the brain (closely followed by vision) (I discount
smell because its connections are routed through the limbic system and
thereby inextricably muddied by it) it is the (a) easiest for the brain
to transduce, and (b) affects more of the brain, causing more of sites
to focus attention on the music. Colors would be similar. But the
recognizers for shapes/motion are fairly higher order in comparison and
certainly affect less of the brain and require more attention to
interpret.
So this is a stab at the Grand Unifying Theory of beauty. :)
(Physical/carnal beauty has perhaps more to due with excitatino of lust
centers than being beauty in the sense of the word used here.)

Let me know what you think.

,