Research

gregh chows at dontspam.me.ozemail.com.au
Sun Jan 16 16:35:00 EST 2000

"Ben" <uncovered at themutual.net> wrote in message
news:38820666.0 at news2.cluster1.telinco.net...
> Would anyone have an idea about what spectrum the common dog is capable of
> seeing. I'm trying to develope some techniques with photography but I need
> this information first. Thanks.

Black, white, all manner of greys and stronger colours such as red and green
but most softer colours are watered down as if you have a colour pic on your
monitor and turn the colour right down.

They actually DO see things on TV and can differentiate what is going on -
eg, that shown now is a dog, that is a cat - but for most dogs, it doesnt
have smell so it isnt anything to care about.

Eye dogs - those that work with sheep and such staring at them - have a
slightly better vision and possibly a better sense of colour, FYI.

It is unlikely that a dull blue and a dull green side by side and the same
shape can be told apart by the normal dog but a dog CAN be taught to pick
different shapes and items by colour so it is fairly obvious that in their
level of perception, they can see colour.

Be aware that some breeds haev different need for sight so some are better
able to differentiate colour than others though to most humans, that
difference is not noticable. An example of sight - Chows (my breed), in
general, dont see UP well thus a hand coming down to pat them makes them
jump back as the hand is close to them when they finally see it. However,
contrary to popular opinion, this breed (and this breed are air and ground
trackers) can see movement at quite a distance and track it by sight. They
DO have more trouble tracking movement at night, though which was something
that surprised me when I found it out.

--

Remove the anti-spammer stuff.