Thinking without language?

Ryan Jonathon Weber weber169 at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 17 01:25:08 EST 2000

Rick Wojcik wrote:

> rachel cohen wrote in message <386bd4de.27362639 at news.zahav.net.il>...
> >On 25 Dec 1999 17:11:26 EST, "mb"
> ><mmbDELETEeer at concenDELETEtric.net> wrote:
> >
> >>.... that
> >>some people do think in words only, while others don't.
> >
> > How do deaf people think ? Those who learn sign language, those
> >who learn lip reading, those whom nobody teaches ? Can they
> >invent metods for thinking, and explain them? After all, children
> >think much before they learn to read.
>
> Indeed, it is clear that animals think and reason, too.  So why do people
> think that they need words to think?

but i think it is worth mentioning that we are constricted by the language
we choose to express ourselves. This has a great effect on our entire mental
development. It is harder to quantify feelings or ideas which no word exists
for, or adequately describe all types of love with the word. This applies to
animals too, except their language communication is not an oral language.