Thinking without language?

gregh chows at dontspam.me.ozemail.com.au
Mon Jan 17 16:15:10 EST 2000

"Paul Sampson" <paul.sampson at zztradezone.co.uk> wrote in message
news:3883471c$1 at runswick.octacon.co.uk...
> Adrian Ian Skilling wrote in message <85v35b$5nn$1 at trog.dera.gov.uk>...
>
> >> but i think it is worth mentioning that we are constricted by the
language
> >> we choose to express ourselves. This has a great effect on our entire
mental
> >> development. It is harder to quantify feelings or ideas which no word
exists
> >> for, or adequately describe all types of love with the word. This
applies to
> >> animals too, except their language communication is not an oral
language.

> > Sorry. I don't mean to be offensive. But surely its obvious that it is
> > hard to express a concept or emotion that we don't have a word for. How
> > could it be any other way !!
>
> That's odd. I don't have a word for - and afaik *english* doesn't have a
> word for - the left testicle of an orang-utan born on any sunday in an
> odd numbered year of the fifteenth century BCE. So I suppose I'm unable
> to express such a concept. Oh dear. That's that then. Rats.

Strange. Looks like you just DID express it. Sometimes it isnt a WORD but an
amalgamation of them that does the same job. he emotion "love" is expressed
as a different thing by different people but we generally accept it to mean
a common thing but definitive concepts such as you expressed above have no
grey area.

--

Remove the anti-spammer stuff.